Thursday, February 25, 2010

Burnt Toast Chronicles: My First Post...

Hi everyone out there...if there is anyone out there that is reading this. I've tried a couple other blogs concentrating on other subjects but they never really went anywhere. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. Finally, it dawned on me...why don't I just have one blog where I can share everything? My hopes...my dreams...my failures...my beliefs...my questions. My Journey.

I am 28 and a mother of two young children. I am a Christian, but I use that term loosely these days because where once I stood on a foundation of rock I now find myself on shifting sands. I have seen shades of gray in the area of religion and philosophy and am at the moment at a type of crossroads of sorts. I have encountered Buddhism as a way of learning more about myself, my emotions, reality and others and have found great peace in its practices. Yet, for 11 years now I have loved and walked with Jesus. Lately though, I've struggled with God's character...a struggle that has lead me to researching the Emergent Church. Right now I still go to a fundamental one, but subjects like contemplative prayer and tolerance are something that cries out for my attention.

Some of these posts will be on thoughts such as those above. Others will share my everyday struggles of being a mom trying to do it right and raise my children with love and laughter...and trying to prevent bills being forwarded to me by a therapist in the future!

Parenting is probably the most longterm, complex job anyone can be given. I've had dreams that have been built and fell away into the ocean like sand castles being carried away by the tide. Dreams of being a journalist, of traveling the world, of having adventures. There's time for some of that still I suppose. But what I've learned is, for me anyways, one of the greatest journeys is revealing the world and all the experiences it has to offer to a child who comes with a clean journal of her own. And those journal entries start with her experiences of you and with you. We have a real responsibility as parents of "doing it right" and not messing up. But we sure do mess up! Me included! Maybe this blog will be an appropriate forum for me and others to share our experiences-our triumph and our failings together. So that we might learn from one another and also gain strength and encouragement from one another.

So here it begins. Daily I'll write...sometimes posting quotes (I love quote!) that have touched me or struck me in some way. My daily experiences and my continual discovery of my faith.

Hope someone actually reads this! :)

~ Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment