Friday, February 26, 2010

Richard Foster's Book Prayer


I love to read and have been reading quite a bit lately. One of the books I've really enjoyed is a book by Christian writer Richard Foster. It's titled : Prayer...and it's content is appropriately on the very subject of its title. I love his writing style. Sometimes I get a little turned off by sappy sentimental Christian prose. I like the real stuff and that's exactly what Richard Foster gives his readers.


He breaks down prayer into different types which I found very helpful. I never knew there were so many ways to pray! I found it helpful because I've had difficulty praying lately so, for example, liturgical prayer...which I never really considered, is a good option for me. I am used to having to make up my own prayer..talking to God...but as of late that's been difficult. I don't have much to say to God...I'm not sure he really wants to hear it anyways. But liturgical prayer takes the stress of having to think of something to say and let's me focus on the words and try to find God in the moment.


Anyways, I would highly recommend the book! Our puppy is barking right now and my son is about to wake up any moment...my daughter s already on the couch watching Clifford. It'll be a busy day of taking her to school than the doctor's, reading stories and helping them paint. Yes..I told them today they could paint...break out the drop cloths!


No comments:

Post a Comment