Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mommy, does everyone go to heaven??

The question I haven't wanted to hear has finally surfaced. Last night my daughter asked it. There was a time when I would have answered with earnest that only those who accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior will find eternal salvation in his presence and go to heaven. But now...things aren't as black and white lately. Finding some inspiration in Buddhist mediations...looking at the Bible more critically and struggling with the character of God...I couldn't look her in the eye and say "no...not them...not the people that don't believe in Jesus...they don't go to heaven." I couldn't say that. I think because I don't believe that anymore....

How did I answer the question?

Like a heretic.

I told her I believe that to know and experience God's character and reality in the fullest way we accept Jesus as our Savior. But that those who have God in their hearts and see His Glory through His creations...well...how could God not let them also enter into heaven?...So...I believe they do too. Faithful Jews, muslims, buddhists...

I know the problem isn't going to go away. Our church talks about there being ONE way..and Jesus being the ONLY way. At some point she's going to be confused as she continues on in her Sunday school education. Should we switch churches? Or am I the wrong one? Is something wrong with my perception of the truth...I mean after all...isn't what I'm feeling wrong?...It does go against the Bible?...I mean...have I become the type of Christian I would have mocked years ago...one that pursues practices her faith with mediocrity and hypocrisy. I mean...I really can't take out the bad stuff but leave the good, can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment